'Magic Mike' Sequel In The Works: Our Questions And Concerns

Bookmark and Share



Magic Mikeby Meg Malone


Remember that time I went to see "Magic Mike" on opening day all by myself? Well, I guess I should start gearing up for a second trip based on what Channing Tatum revealed recently. In a Twitter Takeover with Glamour UK, Channing let slip that a sexy sequel to his stripper flick is in the works!


"Yes, yes and yes! We're working on the concept now," he said. "We want to flip the script and make it bigger."


We're already hoping for the possibility of an extra-dance packed "Magic Mike" DVD, but now add in the potential for another big screen showing, and we're buzzing with questions and concerns.



Considering the movie's ending (SPOILER!), with titular Mike apparently ditching the biz, it seems to make sense that Channing would be relegated to an off-screen role. His comment alludes to behind-the-scenes involvement, but not if he'll take the stage again. Perhaps times have gotten tough for our leading man and he has to step back into a thong for one more movie? Only time will tell.


My fantasy version of how Channing could return? He crafts all the custom furniture for the new club opened by Matthew McConaughey's Dallas in Miami, and when making the delivery, takes one last hurrah on the stage (I mean, he kind of just quit cold turkey without a good send off in the first movie...now is his chance!). In terms of potential plot, the start-up in Miami does provide a catalyst that could carry the story, but I feel like there needs to be a catch. A competing club leading to a strip-off in the style of a "Zoolander" walk-off?


As far as a lead if Channing is out, I'm neutral on Alex Pettyfer's Adam being the central character—nothing against the actor, but as an older sister like Cody Horn's character, little brother's dangerous choices very much stressed me out the whole movie.


In any case, I'd like more time with any supporting guys returning or joining the cast. Yes, Mike's life crisis and Adam's up-and-coming story provided some more plot heft, but honestly I was expecting more screen time from Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer. I mean, I'm not complaining about the screen time they did have, but if you're going to cast a charming and gorgeous cast, might as well feature them as much as possible.


That brings us to the name. If Mike remains M.I.A from the business, could it even have "Magic Mike" in the title? My only suggestion is that if it does focus on Adam that it not be named after his nickname, "The Kid," for fear of confusing people looking for the PG-rated 2000 Disney movie. That would be a very unfortunate mix-up for all parties involved.


What would you hope to see in a "Magic Mike" sequel? Let us know in the comments and on Twitter!


Tags Alex Pettyfer, Channing Tatum, Joe Manganiello, Magic Mike, Matt Bomer, Matthew McConaughey



Source : mtv.com

{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment

Recent Post