'American Idol's' Phillip Phillips on Having to Dress Up for the Finale, Being Compared to Springsteen

Bookmark and Share






Phillip Phillips performance final 3 p
Michael Becker / FOX



Does it get any better than Wednesday night for Tennessee’s Phillip Phillips? He nailed the Four Seasons’ “Beggin,’” as chosen by judge Steven Tyler, gets compared to a “new age Boss,” as in Springsteen, then may have clinched the competition with a downright swoony “We’ve Got Tonight” by Bob Seger. Phillip certainly seemed pleased with his performance following Wednesday’s show when he stopped to answer THR’s burning questions…

'American Idol' Recap: Steven Tyler Crowns Jessica Sanchez the Wi nner
Is Jennifer Lopez Leaving 'American Idol'? All Signs Point to Maybe

The Hollywood Reporter: So the big question if you make it through: Are you going to dress up for the finale?


Phillip Phillips: I think I have to. Somebody told me that, but I'm not excited about it. I heard it's kind of formal so I'm not looking forward to it, even though I can pull it off. … I'm just kidding.


VIDEO: 'American Idol's' Hollie Cavanagh: Jimmy Iovine's Comments 'Were Like a Punch in the Face' 


THR: Steven Tyler compared you to Bruce Springsteen, did that blow your mind?


Phillips: Yes, because Steven said that and asked if I write my own stuff, which I do. I'm actually really passionate about it. I'm not the best singer in the world or in this competition, and I never will be, but I want people to have fun with the music and the meaning of the lyrics.


THR: Randy said your time on stage is what a Phillip Phillips concert would be like. What would a Phillip show be like?


Phillips: All about having fun and dancing and connecting to the music.


STORY: 'American Idol' Burning Questions: Who Said Phillip Phillips' Performance Was 'Rough?' What Does Joshua Ledet Think of 'The Voice?'


THR: Is there a concert that you went to which stands out?


Phillips: Dave Matthews was probably the biggest concert that I've ever been to. It was really good. I wanted to go to so many others, but with how much money it takes and making plans and whatnot…


THR: Were you familiar with “We’ve Got Tonight” before it was chosen for you by Jimmy Iovine?


Phillips: I knew so many other Bob Seger songs but not that one. I was, like, “Oh man, can I switch to this song or that song?" They were like, “Nope, you gotta do it." I was nervous about it , but it felt good. It was very different for me and came out really well.


THR: Does your dad really pack heat?


Phillips: Yes, we all do, because our shop is in a really bad part of town, so you got to keep yourself safe. We have a lot of guns. 


Twitter: @Idol_Worship






















.

Related Video :



{ 0 comments... Views All / Send Comment! }

Post a Comment

Recent Post